Variables are a powerful feature that enable you to easily expose data to end users, and manage dynamic flow using gateway conditions. There are two types of variables.
- Global: variables defined for the environment and can be used in any workflow.
- Local: variables defined for a specific workflow.
Variables in Case Management Solutions
Each workflow in a solution can update the master workflow's global variables. This enables you to display up-to-date views of case details.
You can define the important details of a case as the global variables of the solution. This enables you to provide end users with better list management features, such as sort and filter to cases and sub-cases lists.
Variables also enable you to manage the execution path of a workflow and determine on-the-fly which sub-process will be executed.
Variables can also be used in Smart Allocation Plans to affect the automatic allocation of cases. (HotOperations license only)
Managing Global Variables
Global variables are managed in one central location and can be used in any workflow.
You can add and edit global variables from the Administration > Global Settings > Variables table.
Add Variables to a Workflow
You can add variables to a workflow from the App Studio > Properties Pane > Variables editor.
Assign Values to Variables
You can assign values to variables using one of the following methods.
- Assign Activity
- Source option in the workflow variables definition wizard.
- Built-In Command Activity (if you want to set a variable for a different workflow)
Define Variable Synchronization Options
You can define when variables are refreshed ('synchronized') during workflow execution. When a variable is refreshed, the value of the variable is updated according to the current value of its source field. These values can change over time as multiple instances of the workflow are executed.
For each activity, you can set the way the variables are refreshed when that activity is executed.
- In App Studio, click the activity.
- In the Properties panel, select the variable refresh behavior from the Variables drop-down menu.
- None: do not refresh variable values when this activity is executed.
- LocalSync: when this activity is executed, refresh only variables whose source fields are in this activity.
- AllSync: when this activity is executed, refresh all workflow variables regardless of which activity contains their source fields.
View Variables in Flowtime
Each variable is visible or hidden in Flowtime according to its Visibility setting in App Studio.
If set to Visible:
- Local variables can be viewed only in the Process Page and in all the HotOperations Grids.
- Global variables can be viewed in the Inbox and My Processes grid. In HotOperations it can be viewed in all the HotOperations grids.
In the following example, the local variable Entity Type has been set as Visible in the App Studio.
See below how it appears as a column in the Process Page > Open Processes grid of the KYC workflow.